Sunday, June 20, 2010

I create because I must...

I've had occasion to spend time with artists. I've able to do this through the conceit (or perhaps deceit) that I too was an artist. There was one plastic artist that I was speaking with while she was preparing some of her works for market; our chat took place within her tidy but overflowing studio. She said
I create because I must, if I can make some money from it, that's great.
Having heard the same sentiment stated less directly from other artists, it was at that point that I realized I was out of my league. I create because I want to and with arduous effort, I can empathize with the artist's claim as I think we all have something that we do that is as much a part of our constitution as respiration is to our bodies, but for me it is not in the plastic or performing arts. Fortunately, it doesn't stop me from trying to be an artist, but it does put me in my proper place on the scale of nature.

I've recently become aware of the burgeoning independent music community. Even ignoring the hammerlock that recording labels have had on music distribution since the birth of recording (and even, remarkably, prior to) there have been two technologies that have given musicians new wings. The ability to produce studio quality works in your bedroom for considerably less than the cost of a used auto, and the essentially free distribution channel of the internet. The now moribund MySpace was apparently an early vehicle for musicians to get their work out, which I knew of but never paid attention to.


  I've recently encountered Jamendo and am quite frankly surprised at the high quality of the submissions. Well, some of them. As Sturgeon's Revelation of 1958 claimed, ninety percent of all art created is crap, and there are some true horrors on Jamendo. Contrariwise, using the same wisdom of crowds that powers Wikipedia, Jamendo is fostering a community which does push talent to the top without comb-over producers, payola, or exploitative contracts.

My find of the day struck me as a second-phase effect of Jamendo: presumably based on my publicly stated preferences and activities, The Postmen reached out to me from Switzerland to let me know of their music. As far as advertising goes, it couldn't have been less intrusive, indeed it consisted of a only single bit of information, they sent me a "friendship request". One click and it would have evaporated, a different click led me to their five track eponymous release and a desire for more. I could review their work, but that it moved me to write an article should indicate my level of interest, and I'll let the music speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment